The Lead Software Engineer role is an additional responsibility typically assigned to a Software Engineer or Sr. Software Engineer. In addition to direct programming, this position provides hands-on, technical programming support to a Ghostpunch project development team, assisting the Producer and Director of Technology in affecting the most competent and efficient utilization of programming resources allocated to that team. As the assigned Lead this person is empowered, accordingly, to provide general guidance and input to fellow programmers on that same team regarding the quality and technical aspects of the work produced. Provides input to the Producer as to how best to efficiently utilize and schedule technical resources to help ensure an efficient workflow throughout the duration of the project.
As team Programming adviser this person assists the Producer in making sure that the overall quality of Ghostpunch programming is consistently equal to and/or greater than the standards established by the Director of Technology, carrying out those duties with minimal supervision. In addition to hands-on programming duties, the Lead Software Engineer assists in other management duties such as scoping projects, writing tech docs, and personnel evaluation.
- Establish a solid working relationship with the Director of Technology, team programmers and their assigned Producer.
- Provide leadership and general technical guidance to fellow Software Engineers assigned to their development team.
- Participate in the game programming design process.
- Maintain regular communication with other game development disciplines (i.e. Art, Design and audio) in order to determine how their efforts will affect a game’s programming.
- Write and debug core engine and game code.
- Write advanced tools and other utilities to support work on projects.
- Anticipate, identify and articulate problem areas and develop preventative solutions.
- Assist less experienced Software Engineers with various tasks as needed.
- Accurately estimate the amount of time needed to complete each task assigned.
- Provide input as to the project’s technical feasibility and helps the Producer and Lead Designer to ensure that the project design, artwork, sound etc. fits within the technical requirements of the platforms.
- Responsible for creating the Technical Design Document (TDD) breaking down the project into modules and designing links between those modules. Work with the Producer to incorporate any changes to the TDD.
- Work with the Lead Artist to set up a directory structure to be used by all team members for the duration of the project and archiving.
- Proactively inform the Producer of potential changes to the work schedule, resource requirements, and any situation/condition that may adversely affect group dynamics and/or morale of the Software Engineers assigned to the project.
- Under the direction of the Producer, schedule and coordinate the teams programming resources so as to ensure an efficient work flow throughout the duration of the project.
- Must possess superior oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work independently with little to no supervision.
- Must possess the ability to successfully communicate with Artists, Designers and Sound Engineers.
- Must possess strong general computer skills and experience
- Must have a working knowledge of C/C++.
- Must have a working knowledge of assembly language.
- Must have a deep understanding of game code design.
- Must have the desire and ability to understand and optimize the development workflow across all disciplines.
- Must possess the ability to write code for any aspect of a game.
- Must possess a hands-on knowledge of basic game design and implementation.
- Must have in depth understanding of gaming industry hardware and software trends.
- Must possess up-to-date console product knowledge including technical submission requirements and knowledge of build distribution.
- Must be able to work in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Must possess a strong desire to write game code.
- Unreal Engine 4 experience highly valued!
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field and at least 3 years of experience as a Programmer/Software Engineer in the gaming industry or an equivalent combination of education and practical work experience.
- Must have experience in Programming/Software Design on at least 1 shipping game product from beginning to end.
- Must have prior management/leadership training and/or experience.
Submit Your Application
You have successfully applied
- You have errors in applying