The Senior Combat Designer is responsible for significant contributions to game design, with a focus on combat, moment-to-moment gameplay, and character implementation. The Senior Combat Designer will work with the Lead Designer and fellow Designers to design, implement, and maintain combat-centric systems, game balance, and character tuning.
Within the studio, the Senior Combat Designer collaborates on design goals with the Lead Designer and the Creative Director. This includes generating game proposals, identifying challenges, and developing strategic responses to market needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Design and implement navigation and combat mechanics, implementing in-game particle effects, and tuning gameplay.
● Generating animation motion capture shot lists and working with the Animation Department to help direct motion capture talent in shoots
● Creates AI behavior specs.
● Play and evaluate combat constantly over the course of the project, iterating and re-doing work to reach a high degree of polish.
● Analyze and incorporate user feedback from consumer usability tests.
● Works with personnel on R&D efforts for new game systems and creates playable prototypes as required.
● Identifies and establishes required high impact experiences to ensure timely delivery of promotional material.
● Shipped at least 1+ title with a strong emphasis in combat design and implementation ● Passion for action and fighting games with a focus on combat mechanics.
● Strong programming or scripting knowledge and experience required
● Direct experience in implementing navigation and/or combat mechanics (with a preference on melee based combat) on at least 1+ shipped title
● Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
● Manage on-time execution of deliverables
● Strong interest in computer and video games.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
● B.A. degree preferred or equivalent job experience.
● 6+ years game design experience required.
Why Ghostpunch Games?
● Remote, Hybrid, and On-site policy.
● Collaborative, open-minded, creative environment
● Teamwork makes the dream work (as true as it is corny!)
● Multiple projects available to work on
● AAA quality, Genre-spanning, PC/Console/VR
● Sony, 2K, Activision, Warner Brothers, Gearbox, and more!
Top/Recent projects include
● Outriders, Risk of Rain 2, Borderlands 3, Mortal Kombat 11, Battleborn, Civilization VI, VainGlory, and more!
● Learn more about our partnerships and projects here!
Ghostpunch Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.